Nearly 7.5 % of working-age persons have disabilities or activity limitations related to pain or discomfort. Pain is constant for 70% and recurrent for 30% of persons affected — Statistics Canada
Be prepared with a personally insured income plan for disability.
Individual disability insurance replaces income you lose if you are unable to work because of an accident or illness. The premiums are based upon the income amount you want to protect, the waiting period before benefits begin, the duration of the benefit payments, and the available options you choose.
What is Disability?
Understanding what will make you eligible for disability insurance is the most important feature of your policy. Typically, a condition of disability is defined in the insurance industry as:
- When injury or illness renders you unable to perform essential duties of the occupation you have been working in or have trained for
- When you are unable to perform the important tasks in your regular line of work or find gainful employment in another occupation
You might be eligible for disability income through your individual disability insurance plan.
Why should you consider individual disability insurance?
- Worker’s Compensation only covers work related injury or illness
- Unemployment insurance may not cover the entire period of your recovery
- Canada Pension Plan may take up to 3 months to process an eligibility claim
- Your group disability benefits may be limited by the terms of eligibility and coverage amount.
- Your individual disability plan comes with guaranteed premiums and coverage
Although your sickness or injury may not be severe enough to keep you totally disabled, it can still result in a loss of earnings. There are available options in your individual disability benefits plan that can proportionately cover this stressful period in your family’s life. Your disability plan can also help maintain retirement savings if you have to stop contributions because of total disability.
Don’t let injury or illness interrupt your well-planned and secure financial future. Contact our office to discuss the available options and allow us to customize a plan for you.